Good morning parents and guardians,
We are quickly approaching the end of the first semester, and for Grade 9 students, this means a lot of firsts. Here is some information that will hopefully help you and your teen navigate through the next couple of weeks:
- Final Exams– Beginning on Thursday, Jan 25th all high school students will be writing final exams. The schedule for final exams can be found on the Vanier website (https://vanier.htcsd.ca/2018/01/07/important-dates/). For most Grade 9 courses there will not be a comprehensive final exam. There will, however, be some type of assessment that students will complete during the scheduled time period. Students must remain in the assessment for a minmum of one hour, but will have more time if needed. Teachers will be preparing students for this assessment in the coming days.
- Need help preparing for tests and assessments? Mrs. Whelan, our student support services teacher, has delivered a study skills session to each of the core 90 classrooms to help student prepare. If students need additional support, please do not hesitate to seek her out.
- Study blocks – in the exam schedule there are set study blocks. These periods are not mandatory for students to attend. They are, however, a great opportunity for students to meet up with teachers and ask questions or complete missing assignments.
- Turn-Around Day– There will be no school on Wednesday, Jan 31 due to a turn-around day. Teachers need to have all exams corrected and marks entered for finals grades. Report cards will also be generated on this day. Students will begin the day on Thursday, Feb. 1st, in their Christian Ethics class where a copy of their second semester schedule will be given to them, along with their report card.
- For Grade 9 students the marks on this report card will represent their mid-term grades, with the exception of Science 90, Phyiscal Education 90, and Math 99. These courses are semesterized, and the mark entered will represent a final grade.
- Semester 2– The change of semester doesn’t affect Grade 9 courses too much, however, there are some changes. Students who were in PE in the first semester will now be in Science 90. Those who took Science 90 in the first semester will now be in PE. Students in the Math 99 program will move on to Math Workplace and Apprenticeship 10. All other courses will remain the same.
If you have any additional questions regarding exam week, please do not hesitate to contact the school, we will be more than happy to answer your questions. Have a great day.