“Be Joyful in Hope”
“Soyez joyeux dans l’espoir”
Thursday, March 22 – Grad Photo Retakes
Thursday, March 29 – Holy Thursday Liturgy (CE)
Friday, March 30 – Good Friday – School Closed
Monday, April 2 to Friday, April 6 – Easter Break – School Closed
Monday, April 9 – School re-opens @ 7:30 am
2017-18 Academic Calendar (Parent Mailout)
2017-18 Academic Calendar (HTCSD)
Period 1 – 8:45-9:40
Period 2 – 9:45-10:40
Christian Ethics – 10:45-11:20
Period 3 – 11:30-12:25
Lunch – 12:25-1:25
Period 4 – 1:25-2:20
Period 5 – 2:25-3:20
Thank you to everyone that attended our Open House…we were so happy to tour you around our school and tell you a bit about ourselves. If you missed the evening, please call (306)693-6744 to set up a private tour…we would be happy to show you around! We are now accepting Grade 9 Registration Forms for the 2018-19 school year…you can drop your Registration Form off at the Vanier Office or with your homeroom teacher (HTCSD students only). #VCI_Classof2022
Good morning parents/guardians.
We have a few calendar items coming up that you may want to take note of:
1) Tonight is our Grade 8 Student and Parent Open House…we are looking forward to meeting the next generation of Vanier students. More information HERE.
2) Grad 2018 Photos – Lifetouch will be here on Thursday for any students that either missed the original opportunity or require retakes. Sign-up is online…visit this LINK to see more information.
3) On Wednesday, March 28 @ 7pm, we will be hosting an information session for our grade 9, 10 & 11 parents to assist in registration for the 2018-19 school year. We will present on the course options and registration process. We hope to see you here!
That is all for now…take care!
Shining the Light of Christ
All lunches are $5 each. Lunch Cards are available for $20 or $50.
- Tues. March 20 – Asian noodle salad and dessert
- Wed. March 21 – Smokies and perogies
- Tues. March 27 – Brocolli and cheddar soup and dessert
- Wed. March 28 – Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and veggies
Parent Meeting #1 – Sunday, Jan. 21, 2018 @ 6pm in Library. Agenda – HERE
Grad Photos – Tuesday, Feb. 6 to Thursday, Feb. 8
Grad Photos RETAKES – Thursday, March 22
Parent Meeting #2 – Sunday, April 15 @ 6pm
Vanier Collegiate Grads….if you missed the initial photo opportunity or would like retakes, please note:
RETAKE Photos are scheduled for Thursday, March 22th
to book your appointment.
Initial Sitting Fee $30.00 due at the time of photos.
Retake Fee $20.00 due at the time of the photos.
Call Lifetouch Canada if you have any questions 306.949.8448
Good afternoon Vanier parents/guardians!
1) A friendly reminder to please continue calling in your child’s absences to our main office. Our school goal centers around minimizing school absences and we saw great results in the first semester. We reduced the percentage of “Absent Unexcused” to 1.1% from the previous year’s rate of 4%. We have noticed a climb in this rate for the month of February, thus the reminder.
2) Our February SCC meeting will be postponed (previously scheduled for Feb. 26) until March 12 @ 7pm…please feel free to join us!
3) Please spread the word that Vanier’s Grade 8 Open House will be on Tuesday, March 20 @ 7pm…we are excited to meet the next group of students that choose to make Vanier their high school!
4) Next week is the Winter Break…the school will be closed and will return to regular hours on Monday, February 26…enjoy the time with your children!
As always, contact us if you have any questions. Keep warm and take care!
Next Meeting: Monday, March 12 @ 7pm
We hope to see you there and will be happy to get you involved!
Good morning parents and guardians,
We are quickly approaching the end of the first semester, and for Grade 9 students, this means a lot of firsts. Here is some information that will hopefully help you and your teen navigate through the next couple of weeks:
- Final Exams– Beginning on Thursday, Jan 25th all high school students will be writing final exams. The schedule for final exams can be found on the Vanier website (https://vanier.htcsd.ca/2018/01/07/important-dates/). For most Grade 9 courses there will not be a comprehensive final exam. There will, however, be some type of assessment that students will complete during the scheduled time period. Students must remain in the assessment for a minmum of one hour, but will have more time if needed. Teachers will be preparing students for this assessment in the coming days.
- Need help preparing for tests and assessments? Mrs. Whelan, our student support services teacher, has delivered a study skills session to each of the core 90 classrooms to help student prepare. If students need additional support, please do not hesitate to seek her out.
- Study blocks – in the exam schedule there are set study blocks. These periods are not mandatory for students to attend. They are, however, a great opportunity for students to meet up with teachers and ask questions or complete missing assignments.
- Turn-Around Day– There will be no school on Wednesday, Jan 31 due to a turn-around day. Teachers need to have all exams corrected and marks entered for finals grades. Report cards will also be generated on this day. Students will begin the day on Thursday, Feb. 1st, in their Christian Ethics class where a copy of their second semester schedule will be given to them, along with their report card.
- For Grade 9 students the marks on this report card will represent their mid-term grades, with the exception of Science 90, Phyiscal Education 90, and Math 99. These courses are semesterized, and the mark entered will represent a final grade.
- Semester 2– The change of semester doesn’t affect Grade 9 courses too much, however, there are some changes. Students who were in PE in the first semester will now be in Science 90. Those who took Science 90 in the first semester will now be in PE. Students in the Math 99 program will move on to Math Workplace and Apprenticeship 10. All other courses will remain the same.
If you have any additional questions regarding exam week, please do not hesitate to contact the school, we will be more than happy to answer your questions. Have a great day.
WACA’s 4th Annual Round Dance – Feb. 3, 2018 – more information HERE.
Beyond the Label – begins Jan. 22, 2018 – a four week course designed for parents of children and adolescents diagnosed with a mental health related disorder – more info HERE.
Parenting Your Anxious Child – begins Jan. 30, 2018 – three week, two hour workshop designed to assist parents of children who are struggling with symptoms of anxiety – more information HERE.
Winter 2018 Newsletter – Jan. 15, 2018
Fall 2017 Newsletter – Oct. 15, 2017
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Christa Lapointe at 306-693-6744 or email@example.com.
Good morning Parents/Guardians.
This is a quick note reminding you of a couple upcoming events:
1) Tonight is our January SCC meeting @ 7pm…please feel to join us.
2) Parent Grad 2018 meeting is on Sunday, January 21 @ 6pm in the library…hope to see you there.
3) Semester 1 final assessments are less than two weeks away. Please check this link for the schedule. Please note that students must remain in the classroom for a minimum of one hour for each assessment period. “Study Blocks” are optional, however, they are a great opportunity to visit any teacher’s classroom to complete assignments, get extra help or to study.
Take care…stay warm!
Shining the Light of Christ
Good afternoon parents/guardians.
There are a few items to be aware of in the next week:
1) Our Annual Prairie Christmas concert takes place this Sunday, Dec. 17 at 7pm at the Hillcrest Apostolic Church. The cost is $5 for students/seniors and $10 for adults. Please join us and enjoy the talents of our band and choir students…it is a wonderful Vanier Christmas tradition!
2) Our Advent celebrations continue next week with a liturgy in the gym on Tuesday during Christian Ethics and a school Mass at St. Joseph’s Church on Thursday at 11am. Please feel free to join us!
3) We have decided to cancel the December SCC meeting scheduled for Monday…our next meeting will take place on Monday, January 15 at 7pm in Sion Hall.
4) The school will be closed as of 4pm on Friday, Dec. 22 for the Christmas break and will re-open at 7:30am on Monday, Jan. 8.
Enjoy the Advent & Christmas seasons…many blessings to you and your family from the entire Vanier staff!
Shining the Light of Christ
Good morning Vanier families!
Here are a few items of interest:
1) We have entered the liturgical season of Advent. Please feel free to join us for any of our upcoming celebrations. (Click HERE to see calendar…including our annual Prairie Christmas concert.)
2) Christmas break is fast-approaching…our last day of classes are Friday, Dec. 22 and the school will re-open on Monday, Jan. 8 @ 7:30am.
3) Grade 12 Parents – our first GRAD 2018 meeting will be on Sunday, Jan. 21 @ 6pm in the Vanier Library…please mark your calendars.
4) Student microwaves are back…warm lunches for the winter! We have purchased two commercial-grade microwaves for student use in Sion Hall that are designed to handle repetitive use. Enjoy!
Enjoy the Advent season! Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions…take care.
Shining the Light of Christ
“Bravo” to the cast and crew of Rooted! Thank you for a great production!
It’s Time to Appeal the Theodore Court Case
Since the Government of Saskatchewan has used the Notwithstanding Clause, we have the time to appeal the Theodore Case judgement. We are working with the other seven Catholic school divisions in the province to raise funds for the legal costs needed to challenge the Theodore Court Case decision; a decision which would mean the Government could not fund non-Catholic students attending Catholic schools.
Therefore, the Theodore Appeal Fundraising Campaign is being launched.
Let’s ensure all wanting a Catholic education can attend Schools You Can Believe In.
How can you help?
From November 15 to December 22, 2017 you can drop off a cheque at the division office, your school or donate online at www.catholicedspirit.ca . You may request a receipt for income tax purposes. Share this information with friends and family.
Please make your contribution today. We can do this together!
If you would like more information. please go to www.htcsd.ca and click on any of the blue buttons.
As we approach the half-way mark of the first semester, there are a few items that we would like you to be aware of:
- Mid-semester Report Cards were mailed last week and should have arrived to your home by now. If not, please contact our office and we can print off another copy for you. Student/Parent/Teacher Conferences take place this Wednesday, November 8 from 6:00-8:30. Please join us in Sion Hall to meet with any of our staff to discuss your child’s academic progress.
- Please note that the school will be closed on Monday, November 13…this will be our day in lieu of Remembrance Day. We have regular classes on Friday, November 10.
- Our annual drama production, Rooted: A Musical, is set to take the Mae Wilson stage on November 17 & 18 @ 7:30 pm. Please purchase your General Admission tickets online through our ticket provider: HERE.
- The Vanier Christian Outreach team is again collecting donations for the Operation Christmas Child Shoe Box campaign. For more information, please visit our website. We are wrapping up the collection on Friday, November 17.
- Grade 9 parents…you will be receiving an invitation via email to a parent information session on Monday, November 13 @ 7 pm in the Vanier Library. Every grade 9 student in Moose Jaw is being given the opportunity to a mental health screener, specifically focused on suicide. This evening will be an opportunity to hear more about the screening process, the accompanying program to be taught in health class and to ask any questions that you may have.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Keep warm!
Shining the Light of Christ
Reluisant la Lumière du Christ