Good evening Vanier parents/guardians.
I hope you have enjoyed the turn in the weather…it is finally feeling like winter may be behind us! There are a few calendar items in the next few weeks that will be of interest:
1) The SCC meeting scheduled for Monday, March 18 has been cancelled.
2) We will be hosting our annual Open House for Grade 8 students and their families on Monday, March 25 from 7:00-8:30pm. Please share the date with any families that are considering Vanier Collegiate as their child’s high school. We look forward to meeting the next group of grade 9’s!
3) We are beginning the registration process for the 2019-20 school year with our current Grade 9, 10 & 11 students. We will be hosting a parent information evening on Wednesday, March 27 @ 7:30 in the library to share more about the process and course selection options.
4) The school will be closed on Friday, March 29. This is the day in lieu of Conferencing evenings (our second semester Conference Evening is on Wednesday, April 10 from 6:00-8:30pm)
5) Semester 2 report cards will be mailed out on Tuesday, April 2.
Have a great week…take care!
Shining the Light of Christ
Reluisant la Lumière du Christ
“Be Joyful in Hope”
“Soyez joyeux dans l’espoir”
Monday, March 18 –
SCC Meeting @ 7pm – CANCELLED
Tuesday, March 19 – Lent Liturgy #2 in CE
Monday, March 25 – Grade 8 Student & Family Open House @ 7pm
Tuesday, March 26 – Lent Liturgy #3 in CE
Wednesday, March 27 – Parent Info Evening on 2019-20 Course Registration @ 7:30pm
Friday, March 29 – Day in Lieu of Conferences – SCHOOL CLOSED
Tuesday, April 2 – Lent Liturgy #4 in CE
Tuesday, April 2 – Report Card mail-out
Monday, April 8 – Lent Liturgy #5 in CE
Wednesday, April 10 – Conference Evening (6:00-8:30pm)
Monday, April 15 – SCC Meeting @ 7pm
Thursday, April 18 – Holy Thursday Liturgy in CE
Friday, April 19 – Good Friday – SCHOOL CLOSED
Monday, April 22 to Friday, April 26 – Easter Break – SCHOOL CLOSED
Monday, April 29 – Resurrection Liturgy in P1
Period 1 – 8:45-9:40
Period 2 – 9:45-10:40
Christian Ethics – 10:45-11:20
Period 3 – 11:30-12:25
Lunch – 12:25-1:25
Period 4 – 1:25-2:20
Period 5 – 2:25-3:20
- Choir Schedule 12:35 PM:
MONDAYS Full Choir – for everyone
TUESDAYS Tenor and Bass – for the boys
WEDNESDAYS Altos – for girls with lower voices
THURSDAYS Sopranos – for girls with higher voices
- Tues. March 12 – Cheeseburger soup
- Wed. March 13 -Chicken fajitas with caesar salad
- Tues. March 19-Veggie soup
- Wed. March 20- Sweet & sour chicken balls with fried rice
- Tues. March 26 – Taco soup
- Wed. March 27 – Cheeseburgers with potato chips
Good morning Parents/Guardians!
There are a few things to keep you updated on as we approach the end of our February Break:
1) The school will re-open on Monday, Feb. 25 @ 8am.
2) Our next School Community Council (SCC) meeting is scheduled for Monday, Feb. 25 @ 7pm. Please meet at the main office.
3) Grad photos are taking place this week (Monday to Thursday). If your son/daughter has not signed up for a time, please visit the photographer website to sign-up.
4) The Vanier website has a number of updates for upcoming activities/opportunities, please take a look through the information.
Enjoy the weekend!
We hope to see you there and will be happy to get you involved!
2018-19 Vanier Yearbooks can now be purchased online!
Visit the Friesens’ website to make your purchase.
Jan. 27, 2019 – Vanier Career Centre Newsletter – Winter 2018/19
Emergency Services Open House Career Fair
The Saskatchewan Dragoons will be hosting a Career Fair on Tuesday, February 5 from 1:00 PM TO 3:30 PM. In attendance will be MJ Police, RCMP, MJ Fire Department, EMS, SWAT, K9 and the Canadian Armed Forces. This is being hosted at the MJ Armoury (1215 Main Street North). For more information please contact Steven Cox at 306-692-2550 or email@example.com.
Sept. 24, 2018 – Information re: Career Event Booklet and Remind
Parent Meeting #1 – Monday, Jan. 21, 2019 @ 6pm.
Agenda – HERE
Grad Photos – Monday, Feb. 25 to Thursday, Feb. 28
Online booking click HERE (Sitting Fee – $30)
Grad Photos RETAKES – Monday, April 15
Good afternoon Parents/Guardians…due to the snowfall over the past 24 hours, we are postponing the Grad 2019 Information meeting to tomorrow (Monday, Jan. 21) at 6pm in the Library. The school’s parking lots have been cleared of snow, but all entryways and stairwells are still snow covered. I apologize for the short notice and any inconvenience that this may create. Following the meeting, I will post all discussion items on the school website in the Grad 2019 section, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Thanks for your understanding.
Good afternoon parents and guardians,
We are quickly approaching the end of the first semester, and for Grade 9 students, this means a lot of firsts. Here is some information that will hopefully help you and your teen navigate through the next couple of weeks:
1. Semester End Assessments – Beginning on Wednesday, Jan 23rd all high school students will be writing final assessments. The schedule for final assessments can be found HERE. For most Grade 9 courses there will not be a comprehensive final exam. There will,however, be some type of assessment that students will complete during the scheduled time period. Students must remain in the assessment for a minimum of one hour, but will have more time if needed. Teachers will be preparing students for this assessment in the coming days.
2. Study blocks – in the exam schedule there are set study blocks. These periods are not mandatory for students to attend. They are, however, a great opportunity for students to meet up with teachers and ask questions or complete missing assignments.
3. Turn-Around Day – There will be no school on Tuesday, Jan 29 due to a turn-around day. Teachers need to have all exams corrected and marks entered for finals grades. Report cards will also be generated on this day. Students will begin the day on Wednesday, Jan. 30th, in their Christian Ethics class where a copy of their second semester schedule will be given to them, along with their report card. For Grade 9 students the marks on this report card will represent their mid-term grades, with the exception of Science 90, Physical Education 90, and Math 99. These courses are semesterized, and the mark entered will represent a final grade.
4. Semester 2 – The change of semester doesn’t affect Grade 9 courses too much, however, there are some changes. Students who were in PE in the first semester will now be in Science 90. Those who took Science 90 in the first semester will now be in PE. Students in the Math 99 program will move on to Math Workplace and Apprenticeship 10. All other courses will remain the same.
If you have any additional questions regarding the schedule or expectations, do not hesitate to contact me by phone (306-693-6744) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Have a great weekend!
Good afternoon parents and guardians. There are a few items that we would like you to be aware of as we head into the weekend:
- Reminder about Grad 2019 Parent Information meeting at 6pm on Sunday, January 20 in the Vanier Library. Grads are welcome to attend.
- We have noticed an increase in the use of Vapes in the school and are quite concerned. We have developed a new school policy to help address the issue. This is effective immediately:
Vanier Collegiate strives to provide a safe, comfortable and healthy environment for all students, staff, community partners, visitors and guests.The school building and surrounding property (including the student parking lot) shall be free from the use of tobacco, tobacco products and electronic “smoking” products (vapes, breezes, e-cigarettes, etc.).In addition, students shall refrain from possessing or using these products while representing Vanier at any school-sanctioned events.
Violation of this procedure will result in immediate confiscation of products, parent/guardian contact and a warning letter on file. Subsequent violation may result in suspension.
HTCSD Administrative Procedure 166 (Oct 2017)
Saskatchewan Tobacco Control Act (Aug 2010)
- Questions about Teen Substance Use? Get the Facts: Current Drug Trends – Jan. 22, 2019 @ 7pm @ Central Collegiate – more info HERE.
- Next SCC Meeting – Monday, Jan. 21 @ 7pm
- Semester End Assessment Schedule – more info HERE.
That is everything for now…please do not hesitate to call or email if you have any questions. Have a great weekend and stay warm!
Shining the Light of Christ
Reluisant la Lumière du Christ